Kiva Loans Animated!
Will you win a Kiva Academy Award?!
Our Kiva Entrepreneurs from Across the Globe!
1. Kiva Project - Have you ever considered why some people are “haves” and some are “have nots?” Why is there poverty in the world? What are the causes of poverty? Is there anything a 7th grader at Thomas Jefferson Middle School can do about erasing poverty?
Actually, you can do something about poverty. You can educate yourself and others. You can use the website Kiva.org to learn about microfinance and have a real impact in the struggle to eliminate poverty. The following goals will be accomplished during this project:
1. Defining the term "poverty", reasons for it, & what we can do to try and stop the cycle.
2. A basic understanding of microfinance, economic terms, pros & cons of microfinance.
3. Selecting and lending (real) money to an entrepreneur in the country of your choice.
4. Creating an infomercial that:
A. explains Kiva’s mission
B. includes data about poverty
C. uses narration or an interview
D. shares the story of your loan with visuals and music.
5. Having fun and solving problems.
Are You Ready to Lend? Let's Do This!
A. What is the purpose or use for this loan?
B. What was the loan term? (How long to repay?)
C. What is the name of the field partner or MFI?
D. Is the field partner or MFI reliable? How do you know?
1. With your partner, select an entrepreneur you would like to fund. Consider risk factors and emotional factors.
2. Tell me the last name of the borrower or the group you would like to finance and I will lend the money.
3. Complete the Kiva Client Profile Worksheet.
4. Make a pin on your class map below. Include a picture of your client and all of the information from the client profile sheet. Don't forget to include your partner's name on the pin!!
**You may want to video your group during this process.**
Track your loans here!
Class Maps of 2018 Kiva Entrepreneurs
Period 1 Clients
Period 3 Clients
Period 4 Clients
Period 7 Clients
Period 5 Clients
Making Your Kiva Movie!
The movie/infomercial will contain the following:
A. Introduction to Kiva. What is it? How does it work? You may want to use narration over images, or a video clip of yourselves here.
B. Introduction to the country in which you loaned. Include some statistics and vocabulary words to illustrate the level of poverty. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Use mostly pictures to tell the story – limit your words!
C. A picture and details about the person to whom you loaned. You may video your team during the lending process. You could also video-narrate their story. Where do they live? What are they using the money for? Don’t skimp here…this is what generates interest in your movie! Tug on the heartstrings! Create drama!
D. Include a soundtrack. Adjust the volume of your soundtrack during any narration.
E. Explain and present your work to an authentic audience at the Kiva Film Festival.